Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Song for a Crappy Tuesday

It has been an especially long couple of weeks - the holidays plowing down upon us, classes have ended, shows have closed and more are opening. I'm exhausted.

To top it all off, I have a problem with delayed reaction. The emotional fallout from decisions made over the last 90 days has shown up - it knocks on my door and says:

"Hi! You said if I waited a few months I could stop in and sleep on your couch! So HERE I AM! And looky what I have...(rummages and then yanks out a box from some torn Walgreen's bags) I bought you one of those dancing Coke cans that sings 'Jingle Bell Rock' and calls up unexpectedly painful memories!"

"Oh...wow, heh. Thanks. Thanks a lot, there....you know, now's not a really good ti-" I avoid eye contact.

"You said I could stay on your couch..."

I don't have a couch.

"Um...I didn't mean...uh..."

Emotional Fallout offers a pathetic smile. I know he has no place to go, he's tired and has terrible BO. And he bought me this stupid Coke Can. I stand back, gesturing him inside.

"You can have the bed. I'll take the floor."

Lying in the darkness, beginning to drift off, Mr. Fallout starts singing this aloud...There's no sleep tonight...

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites