Thursday, March 4, 2010

Random Thoughts

1. This morning, on the train, we saw a security guard and his dog.

The security guard was a young African-American man, and the dog was a muzzled German Shepherd. The two of them were alone, looking across the train platform. A couple of tough archetypes.

The German Shepherd leaned it's fettered snout over and nudged the Guard. He looked down, and the dog looked up at him.

The Guard brought his hand up behind the dog's ear, the still puppy-soft part, and ran his fingers through the dog's fur. The German Shepherd leaned in more, allowing the Guard better access to his coat.

The Guard smiled a little, leaned over just an inch or two, and spoke to the dog.

I was so disarmed by this unexpected moment of tenderness, that I had to look away.

2. Favorite word this week:

crum·my
also crumb·y (krm)
adj. crum·mi·er also crumb·i·er, crum·mi·est also crumb·i·est Slang
1. Miserable or wretched: a crummy situation in the family.
2. Shabby or cheap: a crummy little rowboat.

[Probably from crumb.]


3. Least favorite word:

Slim.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, and Hitler loved his dogs too. (sorry Godwin) The last thing we need is glorification of the police state. What is your point?

-j-j- said...

Eh...I'm not sure how this was a glorification of a police state.

I just noticed something sweet from a a place I did not expect.

Jan Smelk said...

I think the relationship between working animals and their handlers is so cool. A drug/bomb/godonlyknowswhat sniffer and his TSA guy were at the airport once while I was getting baggage. They were in the midst of some business. I smiled at the dog, not wanting to interrupt her work, but the TSA guy's face opened up like a daisy and laughed when he saw me watching and said, "I know. We have the best job ever."

I love our police state.

Freddie said...

Hmmm..

"Yes, and Hitler loved his dogs too. (sorry Godwin) The last thing we need is glorification of the police state. What is your point?"

Hitler likes dogs
Guard likes dogs
Hitler = Guard

ok....

Fred is a solid
Statue of Liberty is a solid
Fred is the Statue of Liberty.

Cool...

 
Add to Technorati Favorites